Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs > Saarloos Wolfhound

Saarloos Wolfhound All about Saarloos Wolfhounds

Old 21-02-2007, 13:22   #1
Morgaine

Default Saarloos in the uk

They are considerd wolfhybrids and therefore fall under the dwaa (dangerous wild animals act) Unfortunatly eventhough defra makes up these rules they do not know how they need to aplly in practice. I've been busy for ages with defra trying to figure out how i can import my Saarloos wolfdog for holiday or for good if i decide to move to the uk.
What they said to me was i need to contact the local authority of the place i would want to go for holiday, they will decide if you need a liscence or if they will be discrete and cosider it a domestic dog.
What bothers me is that even i have permission of, lets say Glastonbury (my favorite place in the uk) to bring my dog, i could still end up having trouble at the uk borders.
I hope you understand what i am trying to say because i am having a hard time trying to explain it in english.

There is a little bit of hope though because there are changes plannend in the wild animal act wich will go on force on the 6th of April.

This is the email i got yesterday from defra:

SAARLOOS WOLFDOG

Thank you for your further email of 8 February about your Saarloos wolfdog. I have been asked to reply.

There are currently no further updates on the revision of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. The Animal Welfare Act 2006 comes into force on 6 April this year and more information should be available around that time. All updates will be published on Defra’s website at http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...wd/wildact.htm.

Unfortunately Defra is unable to tell you if you would definitely need a licence from a local authority to bring your dog on holiday with you. Once you have decided your holiday destination it would be best for you to contact the local authority for advice, as they might possibly choose to exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog.

The attached document ‘The keeping of wolf-hybrids in Great Britain’ may be of interest to you.

Yours sincerely

Julie Tucker
Defra - Customer Contact Unit
Morgaine jest offline   Reply With Quote