View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43   #21
Gypsy Wolf

I feel a little bit differently on the topic of working titles/sports. The CsV was bred to be a Border Patrol dog. Period. That means BITEWORK. Schutzhund was designed to test the working abilities of dogs used in police/military work, and in many cases it still is relied on to prove the working ability of a dog. DVG supports all breeds, the SV is solely a GSD organization. Vlcaks descended from GSDs that had to earn titles in order to be bred. I am sure that the original Vlcak breeding program relied on similar tests to make sure they were breeding only the best.
I also disagree in regards to using AKC Tracking ("trailing," really) - I have been to a multitude of AKC Tracking events, and it seemed to me very few of the dogs actually followed scent as much as they "sighted" the marker flags! There is no doubt in SchH Tracking - it's much stricter. There is an "AD" Endurance title in SchH. Personally, I think that we should set our standards high in order to preserve the working ability of the breed. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes commitment, but do we really want to see the CsV turn into the misery that is the American GSD? I shudder at the thought of a pretty dog with no brains.
I would like to see a minimum of a BH, AD, WD (Watchdog title - bitework & obedience), or a SchH1. Or perhaps we could develop our own tests to put a Vlcak through to see if it has the working abilities we prize. I know the Beauceron people have their own sort of Temperament Test. I would be happy with a CD or a HIC - just SOMETHING to prove work ethic and solid temperament. We would be the first AKC breed club to require that, and I think we should pave the way!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote