View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09   #26
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

By 'standard' I mean the original written breed standard from the country of origin. And no, I don't think that should be up to 'interpretation.'
If you read the real original GSD standard then look at what passes in the show ring in the US, you wouldn't even know it was the same breed!
And my POINT is it's obviously not in the best interest of the breed to breed them without healthy hips, without any brains and only to create a certain 'look' that is popular with the judges. I don't think they've 'improved' at all! In the beginning, it didn't matter what the dog looked like, it's temperament and work ethic was more important and I feel like that was a better course for the breed.

As for my GSD, of course I worked with her! And of course she was happy, who are you to judge??!!? She was from half American half German show lines though I never showed her, we did in fact, do herding, agility, obedience, farm work and guarding/patrol work. [Like a real GSD. I'm not saying they have to be in the military or a K9 unit to be a real GSD. I LIKE the farm dog aspect of the breed.]
Sadly she developed hip dysplasia and bone cancer so I couldn't do any real strenuous or competitive work with her but she was a great protector and my best friend and I think a real ambassador for the breed. RIP.
And the poor health is one of my examples of the poor breeding tactics in this country and why when I get my next GSD I'm going to get a Czech bred DDR working line dog which seem a lot truer to the type of GSD I love so dearly and they actually care about the future of this wonderfull breed. [I think y'all can agree, that American popularity after the war ruined the GSD as it should be. ]

And as for lab/goldens etc, I have nothing against the breeds, I just put them out as an example of a more all around 'family friendly' dog if that's what you're looking for. And ACTUALLY, sporting dogs are the group I'm glad is going away from their original purpose and becoming pets because I DETEST hunters!!!
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote