View Single Post
Old 29-06-2010, 13:07   #32
Sona_Bognarova

As it comes to showing a CSW... Judges of course might have certain preferences for showing/handling the dogs in the ring, so take this as my opinion as a judge, not necessarily as a general rule. The first and golden rule is to get as relaxed but focused as possible, both, dog as well as owner/handler. This comes not only with the balanced character of the dog but also with the experience. There are more general rules how to show a dog as this one, but I skip them for now, but this mentioned one helps to show CSW properly a lot. Keep in mind that the judge assesses your dog's appearance at the day of the show, so the fact that "just a week ago the dog looked better" does not really count.The preferred showing position is definitely natural, yet you check it and correct if necessary. I do not want handlers to hold any part of the dog's body in the "show position". If I think that the dog does not stand in its natural position I ask the handler to let the dog make few steps forward and let him to stand freely. I understand that it is common and human to show positives and hide negatives, after all it is a competition, but believe me, you can't hide much this way. I use to be quite tolerant to some troubles with showing the dentition with young dogs, however, I tend to be stricter in this respect in intermediate class and on, definitely it is not acceptable in champion class. When walking/running, watch your dog, correct if necessary (when pacing in trot, galloping instead of trotting, etc.). When running, watch the other dogs in the ring too to avoid any colision. Last but not least, keep the drive of your dog high!
Sona_Bognarova jest offline   Reply With Quote